[DFDL-WG] DFDL's approach vs tradition parser-generators

Garriss Jr., James P. jgarriss at mitre.org
Mon Nov 25 08:06:03 EST 2013

4 different people responded to my request for information, and all 4 returned very different answers.  This surprises me.  Ordinarily such a response would indicate to me that the responders don’t really understand the subject well, but that’s highly unlikely in this case, given who responded.  So what does that indicate?  Perhaps it indicates that it’s difficult to explain the purpose of DFDL, especially when trying to differentiate it from traditional solutions.  If the WG wants to promote DFDL as a viable alternative for generating parsers, this needs to be made crystal clear.  It should probably be included on the OGF website and the Wikipedia page as well.

Thanks to all who responded!