[DFDL-WG] dfdl:calendarLanguage - should allow an expression?

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed May 29 12:43:34 EDT 2013

We already have expression capability for the following properties that
are potentially locale/platform sensitive:

encoding
byteOrder
binaryFloatRep
outputNewLine
textStandardDecimalSeparator
textStandardGroupingSeparator
textStandardExponentRep

Properties binaryPackedSignCodes and textZonedSignStyle are platform
sensitive, but in practice it's unlikely that a single schema would be
created that needed to handle (say) packed numbers from both IBM z/OS or
IBM iSeries, or zoned numbers from both IBM and Micro Focus COBOL
compilers. I'm happy to leave these as they are for 1.0.

Properties calendarTimeZone and calendarObserveDST could certainly be
considered locale sensitive. I think properties like
calendarFirstDayOfWeek and calendarDaysInFirstWeek and
calendarCenturyStart less so.

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848