[DFDL-WG] examples of decimal validation using pattern facet

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Fri May 24 08:16:49 EDT 2013

Forgot to distribute this to the WG.

I now recall one of the discussions of patterns on numbers was this.

XML has this characteristic that everything is both a string, and whatever
type it's logical XML Schema type says it is.

So a pattern that requires leading zeros makes sense on an integer because
in XML, everything is a string; hence, we can talk about a pattern facet
for the string-behavior of what XML-schema tells us is an integer.

Not so in DFDL.

In DFDL, the integer is converted to a pure conceptual number. Facet
constraints can have to do only with the value of this logical type. The
facets aren't about the representation. They are about the value only.

Hence, talking about leading zeros on an integer simply doesn’t make sense.
Leading zero is a representation concept.

Here's the simplest way to think about it. If I had binary integers, would
this same pattern facet requiring leading zeros make sense?  --- no it
would not; and therefore it isn't allowed in DFDL for any integers, binary
nor textual representations. Facets must be about the logical value, not
the representation. Hence, patterns aren't allowed on numbers, because
patterns are fundamentally about strings.