[DFDL-WG] Multiple asserts on same object

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Thu Mar 28 06:02:32 EDT 2013

What's the expected behaviour if I place the following 2 asserts on the
same object?

<dfdl:assert>{fn:false()}</dfdl:assert>
<dfdl:assert>{fn:false()}</dfdl:assert>

Do both get evaluated, and the results 'stacked'?  Or once the first fails
do we not bother with the second?  Spec is not clear.

My motivation is to use multiple dfdl:asserts to get me out of nested
points of uncertainty.  I am seeing with IBM DFDL that the second is not
evaluated.

(The order of evaluation is implementation dependent, but as they are the
same that makes no difference.)

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com