[DFDL-WG] Empty element with initiator and terminator

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Mar 5 13:45:57 EST 2013

James

From your answers, you need IBM DFDL to implement the errata that sets
zero length string in the infoset. That gives you the round tripping you
require. I'd like to add this to the next release of IBM DFDL but can't
guarantee that it will get done.

Here's the specific rules from the errata, the relevant stuff in blue:

Empty representation when parsing
If empty representation is established when parsing, the possibility of
applying a default value
arises. Essentially, if a required occurrence of an element has empty
representation, then a
default value will be applied if present, though there are a couple of
variations on this rule.
Remember that in order to have established empty representation, the
occurrence must be
compliant with the emptyValueDelimiterPolicy for the element, and for a
complex element the
parser must have descended into the type and returned with no unsuppressed
processing error.

There are three main cases to consider. In what follows the term ‘string’
encompasses both
xs:string and xs:hexBinary as these are the two data types for which a
zero length (empty) string
is valid for the type. This behaviour is independent of occursCountKind.

Simple element (non-string)
Required occurrence: If a XSD ‘default’ or ‘fixed’ property is specified
then an item is added to the
Infoset using the value of the property, otherwise nothing is added to the
Infoset. (This may cause
a subsequent processing error depending on occursCountKind).
Optional occurrence: Nothing is added to the Infoset.

Simple element (string)
Required occurrence: If a XSD ‘default’ or ‘fixed‘ property is specified
then an item is added to the
infoset using the value of the property, otherwise an item is added to the
Infoset using empty
string as the value.
Optional occurrence: If emptyValueDelimiterPolicy is not ‘none’ then an
item is added to the
Infoset using empty string as the value, otherwise nothing is added to the
Infoset.
(To prevent unwanted empty strings from being added to the Infoset, use
minLength > ‘0’ and a
dfdl:assert that uses the dfdl:checkConstraints() function, to raise a
processing error.)

Complex element
Required occurrence: An item is added to the Infoset.
Optional occurrence: If emptyValueDelimiterPolicy is not ‘none’ then an
item is added to the
Infoset, otherwise nothing is added to the Infoset.
For both required and optional occurrences, the Infoset item may also have
a child item.
A) If the first child element of the complex type is a required simple
element, then an empty
string or default value will also be added to the Infoset.
B) If the first child element of the complex type is a required complex
element, then an item
is added to the Infoset (which may itself have a child via A)

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848