[DFDL-WG] proposal: add fn:trace function to DFDL

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Thu Jul 25 13:12:18 EDT 2013

Agreed not to add this. See WG call minutes.

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
To:     dfdl-wg at ogf.org,
Date:   16/07/2013 15:03
Subject:        [DFDL-WG] proposal: add fn:trace function to DFDL
Sent by:        dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

I have found working with DFDL expressions basically impossible without
the fn:trace function to help debug them.

I am not sure how I would write a tutorial about expressions without using
fn:trace in it to illustrate what is going on in the expressions. In the
interests of keeping the tutorials portable I suggest we add the fn:trace
function.

fn:trace($value as item()*, $label as xs:string) as item()*
queries.
The notation item()* means any node sequence including an empty node
sequence.
The input $value is returned, unchanged, as the result of the function. In
addition, the inputs $value, converted to an xs:string, and $label may be
directed to a trace data set. The destination, format, and ordering of the
output of this trace data set is implementation specific.
Related Issue: I don't see any language in the spec where we flat out say
that a node sequence in the expression language is a sequence of Infoset
Element Information Items. We should add this near the begining of section