[DFDL-WG] Using a discriminator on a simple type

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Jul 24 14:21:26 EDT 2013

I know we discussed this on Tuesday's call, but I am really struggling
with why I would ever want to do it. It seems to me it is an accident
waiting to happen. A type is an abstract reusable thing, I have no idea
where it will end up being used, so it is positively dangerous for a
discriminator to appear. What is it discriminating? Answer: any
surrounding point of uncertainty, no matter where that might be.

Please can someone provide me with a real use case for this?

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com