[DFDL-WG] could you clarify statement made on the call today

Cranford, Jonathan W. jcranford at mitre.org
Tue Jul 23 13:23:27 EDT 2013

Steve,

Could you clarify a statement made during today's DFDL WG call?

I didn't quite catch the whole statement, but it sounded like you were saying a design goal of the WG was that the result of parsing a binary format using DFDL would result in a DFDL infoset roughly equivalent to the XML infoset obtained by parsing the same data in an XML format.  I don't think I quite captured that correctly, but it sounds like an important point, and I'd like to understand it further.

For context, I've been asked to look at building an inspection and sanitization capability on top of DFDL, so I'm weighing the differences between DFDL Infoset and XML Infoset at the moment, and your comparison caught my attention.

Thanks in advance,

--
Jonathan W. Cranford
Senior Information Systems Engineer