[DFDL-WG] proposal: add fn:error function and dfdl:hex function to DFDL

Garriss Jr., James P. jgarriss at mitre.org
Wed Jul 10 15:14:59 EDT 2013

> You need a different mechanism, which is a fatalError type for the dfdl:assert annotation.

Sounds like we are in agreement.  Thanks for clarifying.

> But the CDS community uses validation to indicate an immediate need to stop. I.e., invalid == "dangerous".

In some cases this is true, though in other cases it is not true.  That's why it seems to me that it would be good if DFDL can handle either mindset.  For the work I've been doing with DFDL and email, the "invalid=dangerous" mindset was a starting assumption.