[DFDL-WG] Clarification when calendarPattern is a superset of the type

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jan 22 12:55:38 EST 2013

The answer is 1) it is an error.

So the unparsing issue you highlight does not arise.

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   Steve Lawrence <slawrence at tresys.com>
To:     <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>,
Date:   22/01/2013 17:33
Subject:        [DFDL-WG] Clarification when calendarPattern is a superset
of the  type
Sent by:        dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

Assume we have the following element:

<xs:element name='date' type='xs:date' dfdl:calendarPattern='yyyy-MM-dd
hh:mm' />

So we have a element of type xs:date, but a calendarPattern that
specifies date and time formatting symbols. What should happen in this
case? Two potential options that I see (there are probably others):

1) Throw some kind of error, signifying that calendarPattern contains
formatting symbols not allowed for the type.

2) Truncate the parsed data to fit the type, so the data

   2013-01-22 11:59

becomes

   <date>2013-01-22</date>

This seems reasonable, however the spec mentions the following:

   When unparsing, and property calendarPattern contains a formatting
   symbol that requires a component of the date/time and the infoset
   value does not contain that component, it is a processing error.

So that means it is impossible to unparse when the calendar pattern is a
superset of the element type. Is this ok?

Thoughts?

- Steve