[DFDL-WG] Implementation limits

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Mon Jan 21 13:43:41 EST 2013

Just checking - did we close on this?

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
----- Forwarded by Steve Hanson/UK/IBM on 21/01/2013 18:38 -----

From:   Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
To:     Steve Hanson/UK/IBM at IBMGB,
Cc:     dfdl-wg at ogf.org
Date:   19/11/2012 21:08
Subject:        Re: [DFDL-WG] proposed clarification/narrowing - no
twos-complement decimal, integer or nonNegativeInteger

Do we have a section where this goes?

There are lots of implied implementation limits.

Maximum string length?
Maximum hexbinary length?
Maximum number of packed digits in various numbers.

Maximum length of a delimiter?
Maximum length of a fixed attribute?
Maximum length of a pattern regex expression?
Maximum length of a regular expression?

There's also limits on buffering of data for unparsing, etc.

There's also limits on lookahead/speculation. I.e., how far an
implementation is willing to speculate forward.

etc.

For some types these are clear: e.g., binary xs:int is 32 bits max.

Do we need a numbered section on implementation specific limits.