[DFDL-WG] Action 200 - Terminology - Git for central repo of DFDL schemas at github (was Re: Git commit policies)

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 13:17:13 EST 2013

(re-send: neglected to send to whole workgroup mailing list)

I'll send a couple emails on this subject.

The initial big git hurdle is terminology being so different from other
SCM. E.g.,

index - the set of files git is tracking. If you create a new file, by
default git is not tracking it. Until you "add it to the index" it is very
easy to lose it.

sandbox - git doesn't use this term. The equivalent is a set of 4 things:
* your local repository
* commits - the deltas in your local repository: includes what you
originally fetched/pulled plus any commits you have done to it
* any files that have been "added to the index" but not committed yet.
* any untracked files (that you haven't yet added to the index) - git
requires you be careful about these.

commit - a purely local operation of taking all files that have changes and
are being tracked (i.e., new files have been added to the index), and
creating a change-set out of them. Does NOT interact with a central
repository at all.

checkout - purely local operation which switches branches in your local
repository - does NOT interact with a central anything. Simplest policy to
stay out of trouble is to always add any new files to index and commit all
outstanding changes before you do this.

fetch - get changes from central repository, but don't
combine/merget/change what is in current 'sandbox' to include them yet.
Safe to do this operation whenever.

pull - fetch plus merge the changes. We tend to avoid this and use fetch
then rebase.

merge - locally merge changes. We tend to avoid this and use rebase.

rebase - a merge which replays your changes on top of another commit point
(typically a master branch head), so as to make it look like all the
changes were done in one linear sequence rather than by fork/join splitting
and merging. This is often much easier to deal with than fork/join merging.

push - moves changes to another repository. Doesn't merge anything. (Must
already have been merged locally.)