[DFDL-WG] Extra restrictions needed for dfdl:floating 'yes' ?

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 08:22:56 EDT 2013

I'd like not to lose sight of what the actual use case for floating
elements is.

We have a restriction on unordered sequences that all children must be
elements.

I suspect some similar restriction applies to ordered sequences with one or
more floating children. I.e., that all the children (floating or not) must
be elements, must have initiators, etc.

That would rule out the complex interactions you are illustrating.

If people really truly have tons of very unordered things in complex sets
and subsets, then an array of choice is probably the way they need to model
it.