[DFDL-WG] clarification needed: validation errors

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Aug 14 05:45:49 EDT 2013

Action 216 raised to clarify the wording.

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
To:     dfdl-wg at ogf.org,
Date:   30/07/2013 18:42
Subject:        [DFDL-WG] clarification needed: validation errors
Sent by:        dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

Jessie Chab (tresys) said:

...... The wording of "Validation errors cannot be suppressed by points of
uncertainty" was tripping me up. Though I understand what points of
uncertainty are, it is unclear exactly what this is saying. When viewed as
a continuation of the requirement "validation errors are ignored when
resolving points of uncertainty" it seems to make a little more sense.
Overall, the requirements together are saying (i believe), Validation
errors are not taken into account when resolving points of uncertainty,
but they are still going to occur and be present to the user upon a
successful parse. I think this could be said a little more clearly in the
spec.