[DFDL-WG] DFDL occurs properties on global elements

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Apr 16 11:34:50 EDT 2013

Errata 3.8 clarifies what action a DFDL processor should take when it
encounters an object that explicitly carries properties that are not
relevant to the object, as follows:

1  Property not applicable to the object’s kind.
Schema definition error. Example is lengthKind on xs:sequence.
2       Property not applicable because of simple type.
Warning. Example is calendarPatternKind on xs:string.
3       Property not applicable because of another DFDL property setting.
        Warning. Example is binaryNumberRep when representation is text
4  Property not applicable because object is global.
Warning (optional). Example is occursCountKind on a global xs:element.

I am starting to question whether 4 is the correct behaviour. I think this
should be a schema definition error and not a warning because the property
becomes applicable for an element reference that refers to that global
element. It is a different situation from the other warning cases 2 & 3,
where the test is made once scoping rules are applied, and the property is
therefore not applicable.

Thoughts?

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com