[DFDL-WG] More Date/Time/DateTime Clarifications

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Mon Apr 15 05:37:27 EDT 2013

Steve

1) Infoset output for calendar types:

The infoset output for all simple types is given in section 4.1.2 in the
description of the [dataValue] member. It just says it is a value in the
value space of the simple type as defined by the XML Schema 1.0 spec.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-2-20041028/datatypes.html

Your description looks correct.

2) Implicit calendar patterns.

The point of calendarPattern 'implicit' is to provide a format that has a
good chance of being applicable to real-world formats.  Leaving timezone
out of the implicit pattern for xs:date makes sense, as although XSD
allows it, very few date-only formats will carry a timezone. Leaving
timezone out of the implicit pattern for xs:dateTime was a judgement call
that could have gone either way. Given that the modeler always has the
option of using an explicit pattern, and IBM's implementation is already
in the field, I am happy to stay with the specification as it stands.

It sounds like the IBM tests are not correct in providing -08:00 in the
data, they should be providing -0800. For some reason both formats are
being accepted by IBM DFDL when ZZZ is used. I suspect this is ICU
behaviour because we just call ICU with the pattern. I'll need to look
into this further. We have an open ICU ticket #472 which is the subject of
an open DFDL WG action to clarify leniency when parsing, but it does not
list any leniency around Z handling.

Errata 2.127 was recently taken to change the implicit pattern for xs:date
to use single Z instead of ZZZ, to match ICU preferred behaviour for the Z
symbol.

There are several other errata that affect calendar processing, so please
refer to the errata document on Redmine @
http://redmine.ogf.org/dmsf/dfdl-wg?folder_id=5485.

Also note that the x and X symbols are not supported by the DFDL 1.0
specification as it currently stands.

HTH

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848