[DFDL-WG] DFDL variables as path steps and with predicates

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 09:47:53 EDT 2012

That notion, that a variable could contain "a", and that could be used in a
path so that .../$x/... would mean to descend to child 'a' at that point,
looks to me that it goes beyond what XPath 2.0 allows. I'm not an XPath
expert, but XPath 2.0 is strong-typecheck-capable, and that requires the
path-steps in it, each of which can cause the type to change, to be
statically apparent in the expressions. A really dynamic path can only have
the vacuous type Any.

You could of course construct a string that is such a path first, and then
as XPath 2.0 to evaluate it, but that requires work outside the expression.

But I totally agree with you that there's no value to DFDL, and no need for
anything other than where a variable like $x provides a single node value
of simple type, and can be used exactly and only where such a value would
be meaningful. So I think $x should appear alone as a value-producing
expression, including, as you pointed out things like a[$x] should work
because $x could be an integer value.

...mikeb