[DFDL-WG] clarification wanted: fixed values

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:22:30 EDT 2012

The spec states that the fixed facet is only used for validation.

That is, it works like default in that it supplies a default that can be
used when parsing and unparsing, but the comparison of an existing data
value with the schema-specified fixed value is only done for validation.
This means that a value not agreeing with the fixed value specified in the
schema would never cause backtracking.

Is this right? It seems awkward to me that I have to use a dfdl:assert
annotation to achieve this. That said, however, I can achieve the behaviour
I need. it's just more verbose than I wanted.

Is this what the current IBM implementation does?

Thanks

--
Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL WG Co-Chair
Tel:  781-330-0412