[DFDL-WG] 7-bit ascii packed together

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:19:49 EDT 2012

On our call today we discussed this and agreed we should just pick a name
for this encoding which uses the US-ASCII 7-bit codepoints, but instead of
using a full octet per, uses exactly 7 bits per codepoint.

I suggest this name should be US-ASCII-7-bit-packed.

US-ASCII is 'preferred' by IANA over just "ASCII" on the Internet, because
it avoids the "ascii family" connotation.

Note that according to the IANA encoding names are not case sensitive.