[DFDL-WG] Clarification: can you escape a pad char with an escape char?

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 17:49:19 EST 2012

Did we decide whether an escape character can precede a pad character
hence, making it part of the content, not the padding?

E.g., suppose pad character is P, escape character is E.

then can 'abcdEPPPP'

be interpreted as 'abcdP' then 3 pad characters, or did we decide that
padding ignores escape chars?

I think we decided that padding is outside of the escape blocks, so that

if [ and ] are my escape block start and end, then PPP[PabcP]PPP would be
'PabcP' as content.

but I don't think we commented on regular single escape character
characters and pad char.

It seems consistent to me that 'abcdEPPPP' is abcdP as content.

but if not, then 'abcdEPPP' stripping off the trailing padding ends with
the escape character, so the escape character is escaping nothing hence the
content would be 'abcd' I believe.

Comments?

...mike

--