[DFDL-WG] clarification needed: assert evaluation order and arrays

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 14:34:24 EDT 2012

Do I understand this right? I have always thought that "." refers to the
current occurrence (i.e., the [dfdl:occursIndex()] is implied if the
current elemetn is an array). Hence, if I have an array of a complex type
with children named a and b, then "./a" is a valid expression referring to
the current instance's child a.

Similarly, if I type "../bar", and my parent is an array, then ".." moves
me up to the current instance within that array.

Upward paths are unambiguous. Current node paths are unambiguous. Only
downward paths that encounter an array would need indexing brackets.

I think lots of things break if the above isn't the rule. E.g., you can't
take an element and add minOccurs/maxOccurs to it to make it repeat without
all the paths written on it being broken.

If I am right, then there is no problem with making
dfdl:checkConstraints(.) take the node, ask if it is an array, and if so
compare its occursIndex to maxOccurs.

I do take your point that the secondary check for minOccurs has to be
expressed differently with a separate assert.

The fact that dfdl:occursCount(path) takes a node-set-valued path is ....
well really annoying, but inevitable. We need to watch for these
exceptions.