[DFDL-WG] Fw: String literal syntax for hexBinary ?? - dfdl:property semantic

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed May 23 13:25:21 EDT 2012

Agreed to drop dfdl:property() from 1.0.

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
----- Forwarded by Steve Hanson/UK/IBM on 23/05/2012 18:19 -----

From:   Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
To:     Steve Hanson/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Cc:     dfdl-wg at ogf.org, Tim Kimber/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Date:   19/04/2012 23:35
Subject:        Re: [DFDL-WG] String literal syntax for hexBinary ?? -
dfdl:property semantic

...  But are we all happy that the result of dfdl:property when the
property value is an expression, is the result of executing that
expression? How complicated is that going to make implementations?

Well, what is the use case for dfdl:property() at all?  One example would
be where there is a choice, and different record formats as the
alternatives of the choice depending on the length or number of
occurrences of some element. So a discriminator expression would refer to
dfdl:property("length",...) for example.

However, I do believe we could drop dfdl:property(....), and just say "use
variables if you want this behavior". E.g., if I have dfdl:length="{....}"
then as the schema author I can always introduce a variable myLen, set its
value to that of the expression, change to dfdl:length="{ $myLen }" and
where I would have used dfdl:property("length", path), instead just
reference the variable as $myLen. I will have to define the variable, and
use newVariableInstance so that the variable goes into and out of scope
appropriately just like a property value does, but this isn't horribly
complex.