[DFDL-WG] S2G use of DFDL - to be discussed on 8th May DFDL-WG call

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue May 8 09:24:46 EDT 2012

Hi Michele

We are looking forward to the discussion on S2G and DFDL on today's
DFDL-WG call.

So that other folk on the call can see what we have been discussing over
the past few weeks, I've listed the full set of issues in one place:

The original 4 issues which I noted are reproduced here...

1. DFDL does not have defaults for its properties. You must not use
defaults, instead use dfdl:format to apply values across all the xsd.
2. You are using dfdl:encoding and dfdl:byteOrder on complex elements to
control the encoding and byte order of child elements. This is not how
DFDL works, you need to use dfdl:format.
3. The namespace for DFDL in the xsds is incorrect - it is missing a
trailing slash - "http://www.ogf.org/dfdl/dfdl-1.0/"
4. There is no such property value as dfdl:lengthKind="expression" - it is
just "explicit" (DFDL knows it is an expression because of {..} )

(Your responses to these are further down the attached e-mail thread.)

Some other issues I have noted...

5. Section 3.1 in the pdf. The DFDL infoset shown is not a correct
infoset, as it contains DFDL property values instead of data values.

6. Section 5. dmx:representation. Better if the name was not
'representation' as that is too close to dfdl:representation. Suggest
dmx:displayRep.

7. Section 5.2. Time code representations. Are any of these sufficiently
common to justify including in the DFDL specification?

8. What does this DMX property do?  dmx:concealable="true"

9. Attribute form of DFDL & DMX properties are mixed together in an
illegal way. Take the following example.

        <xs:simpleType name="TypeCADUSyncMarker">
                <xs:annotation>
                        <xs:appinfo source="
http://www.ogf.org/dfdl/dfdl-1.0">
                                <dmx:simpleType dfdl:lengthKind="explicit"
dfdl:lengthUnits="bytes" dfdl:length="4" dmx:representation="Hexadecimal"
/>
                        </xs:appinfo>
                </xs:annotation>
                <xs:restriction base="xs:int"/>
        </xs:simpleType>

a) The 'source' attribute says this is a DFDL appinfo annotation, yet the
content is a dmx:simpleType element.
b) The only place DFDL short form properties can appear is directly on a
schema object.

I would expect to see the following, which has separate appinfos for DFDL
and DMX. Note that the dmx: is not needed when encoded on the appinfo
element.

        <xs:simpleType name="TypeCADUSyncMarker">
                <xs:annotation>
                        <xs:appinfo source="
http://www.ogf.org/dfdl/dfdl-1.0">
                                <dfdl:simpleType lengthKind="explicit"
lengthUnits="bytes" length="4"/>
                        </xs:appinfo>
                        <xs:appinfo source="<S2G URL>">
                                <dmx:simpleType
representation="Hexadecimal"/>
                        </xs:appinfo>
                </xs:annotation>
                <xs:restriction base="xs:int"/>
        </xs:simpleType>

Or carry DMX properties on the schema object in short form:

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848