[DFDL-WG] DFDL spec & error codes (was Fw: TDML question)

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Mon Jun 18 04:42:27 EDT 2012

Added to WG agenda.

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
----- Forwarded by Steve Hanson/UK/IBM on 18/06/2012 09:38 -----

From:   Steve Hanson/UK/IBM
To:     Tim Kimber/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Cc:     Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
Date:   14/06/2012 09:19
Subject:        Re: TDML question

We should discuss this at the WG when we have got our current backlog and
action 140 out of the way.  It's all part of the deferred conformance
suite action 166.

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   Tim Kimber/UK/IBM
To:     Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
Cc:     Steve Hanson/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Date:   13/06/2012 21:42

Hi Mike,

Fair question. IBM requires all diagnostic messages from its software
products to be identified by a unique error code. In the IBM test driver
program, it is this code that we check for.
The XML Schema specification actually assigns unique strings to the
various types of error that can occur ( e.g. cvc-* ). If the DFDL
specification did the same then the TDML format would be able to specify
that the content of the <errors> tag is a list of defined error codes.
For DFDL v1.0, I think implementers are free to use it in a way that fits
their own requirements.

regards,

Tim Kimber, Common Transformation Team,
Hursley, UK