[DFDL-WG] initiatedContent property question

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Jul 25 06:43:21 EDT 2012

initiatedContent = "yes" has two purposes, firstly it forces the model
author to specify an initiator on all the children of a sequence; secondly
the initiator is used to discriminate children that are a 'point of
uncertainty'.   An initiator expression is not able to return "no
initiator" (see errata 2.63), so in that sense there is nothing different
between a static initiator and a dynamic initiator. I don't see a need for
initiatedContent = "yes" to distinguish between the two.

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848