[DFDL-WG] Proposed Errata Language: Issue - DFDL Expressions may not return empty string for ...

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 09:17:48 EST 2012

> When a property is a DFDL String Literal, or List of DFDL String Literal,
> the spec is usually silent about the validity of empty string. The
> assumption has always been that empty string is only allowed when
> explicitly stated in the property description (such as for initiator,
> terminator and separator). Hence for textBooleanTrue/FalseRep, empty string
> is implicitly not permitted as a value.

Is that really true? E.g., [,,,] with DFDL <element name="arrayOfBool"
type="xs:boolean" dfdl:textBooleanFalseRep="" dfdl:textBooleanTrueRep="1"
maxOccurs='4' minOccurs='4'/>

Now, I could do this with a default value also, so we can rule out empty
string for the textBooleanXYZRep properties, but it's not like it isn't a
sensible option.

> We should be explicit about this in section 6.3.1, and say empty string
> not allowed as a value, unless explicitly stated in the individual property
> description.

Agreed.

> That then covers us for the case where a property is a union of DFDL
> String Literal and DFDL Expression, as the rules for expression say it must
> return a value compliant with the property type. So the only properties
> that need to take your wording below are initiator, terminator and
> separator.
>
> Is it a schema definition error or a processing error if an expression
> evaluates to something that does not comply with the type of the property?
> I don't think the spec says.

I suggest a SDE is the right choice.

Example: Consider path a/b/c. Suppose b is a choice.
One arm has elements p, q, r, and c where c is type string. The other arm
has elements x, y, z, and c where c is type int.

If I use the path a/b/c in a context where I can only have an Int e.g., as
a length expression, then in principle I could  get a type error or not
depending on how the choice is resolved.

I think this is a super bad idea, and we should make a type error be an SDE
to prevent people from modeling data this way. We should require the schema
author to use different field names for the different "c" fields in this
example, (let's stay cString, and cInt as the names), so that the path is
a/b/cInt and then there is no question that if a/b/cInt can't compute
cInt's representation to an Int then it is an SDE.

This prevents different semantics for runtime type-checked and
static-type-checked implementations.

We continue to have the issue that one implementation may throw a SDE at
compile time, where another implementation defers that check to runtime,
and hence, can parse some data if that data does not force the erroneous
part of the schema to be used. I am not sure what we can do about this. The
obvious solutions (no compile-time checking, or only compile time checking)
both preclude classes of implementations that we don't want to rule out.

We do have a one-sided behavior that when an SDE is detected at runtime by
any implementation it will also be detected at runtime or sooner by all
implementations.

However we don't have the inverse of this. It would be nice if when an SDE
is not detected by one implementation an SDE will not be detected by other
implementations. But unfortunately, that's just not the case.

Here's Suggested Errata Language:

*Section 6.3.2 is amended to add the following sentences:*

*DFDL expressions are strongly typed. Incorrect types are schema definition
errors. DFDL expressions are always used in a context where there is an
intended result type for the expression. In the case of test expressions
(dfdl:assert and dfdl:discriminator) the result type is boolean. In the
case of DFDL expressions providing property values, the property's type is
the intended result type. In the case of inputValueCalc, and
outputValueCalc, the result type is the type of the corresponding element.

Note specifically that strings are not automatically converted to numbers.
That is, if an expression is used in a context where the result type must
be an integer, then the expression may not return a string, even if the
string contains only digit characters. In this situation an explicit
construction of an integer (such as by calling the xs:int() function) is
required as part of the expression. *