[DFDL-WG] clarification needed: choice children have separator from surrounding sequence or not?

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Dec 12 11:45:10 EST 2012

Mike, it's the latter interpretation that is correct. A separator
separates the occurrences of the direct child components of the sequence.

So your schema models  '/abc/(1;2;3;4;)' and my schema models
'/abc/(/1;/2;/3;/4;)':

<sequence dfdl:separator="/" dfdl:separatorPosition="prefix">
   <element name="a" type="xs:string"/>
   <choice dfdl:initiator="(" dfdl:terminator=")">
       <sequence dfdl:separator="/" dfdl:separatorPosition="prefix">
           <element name="foo" maxOcccurs="10" type="xs:int"
dfdl:occursCountKind="parsed" dfdl:terminator=";"/>
       </sequence>
       <element name="bar" type="xs:string" />
   </choice>
</sequence>