[DFDL-WG] DFDL character entities in DFDL expressions

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:30:42 EST 2012

We currently have this language in the spec:

"Within an expression, a string is never interpreted as a DFDL string
literal."

To me this means one cannot use DFDL character entities in an expression.

However, I need to do this:

         outputValueCalc="{   if (fn:string-length(../s) lt 64) then
fn:concat(../s, '%NUL;') else ../s   }"

Basically, I need to append a NUL on the end of the string in the output
value case.

Unless I can put a %NUL; into an expression and have it interpreted as a
DFDL String literal,  I am not sure how I can achieve this.

At minimum I need a new DFDL function which might be an alternate string
constructor, such as dfdl:string('....') which interprets the argument as
something where the contents are to be scanned for DFDL character entities
and they are substituted so that the resulting string can contain the
characters that are disallowed in XML. (like NUL)

--
Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL WG Co-Chair | Tresys Technologies
Tel:  781-330-0412