[DFDL-WG] Clarification: can you escape a pad char with an escape char?

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Dec 4 06:33:21 EST 2012

Investigation with IBM DFDL using a left justified example...

a) abcd\PPPP gives abcd.
b) abcdP\PPP gives abcdP

...and using a right justified example...

c) PPP\Pabcd gives Pabcd.
d) PP\PP gives PPabcd

This is asymmetric and is explained by blind trimming of the pad char.

However it has some merit as it is the simplest rule to devise. Trimming
is blind to the semantic of any other character and simply removes the pad
character until it finds another character. To avoid problems don't use
the same character to both pad and delimit.  Anything else and things
start to get complicated.

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848