[DFDL-WG] proposed clarification/narrowing - no twos-complement decimal, integer or nonNegativeInteger

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 14:31:46 EDT 2012

The spec is not clear on whether decimal, integer, and nonNegativeInteger
support representation='binary' with binaryNumberRep='binary' (aka
twos-complement). Since these types do not have any size limit, such a
capability allows arbitrarily large twos-complement integers, or perhaps it
would be an implementation defined limit.

I believe the right choice is that it should be disallowed. That is, only
binaryNumberRep of 'bcd' or 'packed' should be allowed for these types.
These types have always been about decimal-style representations to me.

This keeps twos-complement only for the types long, int, short, byte and
their unsigned counterparts.

--
Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL WG Co-Chair
Tel:  781-330-0412