[DFDL-WG] String literal syntax for hexBinary ?? - Re: String literals - various usage patterns thereof

Tim Kimber KIMBERT at uk.ibm.com
Thu Apr 19 06:32:45 EDT 2012

I agree with all of that.  One refinement, though. I don't think it's
necessary to *require* an implementation to auto-cast the result of a DFDL
Expression into the target type. If an implementation wants to be picky
about the return type AND issue a clearly-worded Schema Definition Error
stating what the problem is then I think we should allow it.

Arguably, this would reduce the portability of DFDL schemas, but there is
precedent for defining a portable subset  of a language while allowing
conveniences for users who don't need portability ( e.g. ANSI 'C' ). We
already take that line for the regular expression syntax, so there is
precedent for this in the DFDL specification too.

regards,

Tim Kimber, Common Transformation Team,
Hursley, UK
Internet:  kimbert at uk.ibm.com