[DFDL-WG] DFDL String Literals - diagram

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:04:07 EDT 2012

I was thinking about how to implement DFDL string literals.

I went through the spec, and created a diagram which shows in a
quasi-UML-class-diagram, what I think is the currently specified behavior
of String literals and the properties that have them as their values.

The diagram is attached. If this shows with black or other background
instead of white, look for a setting on whatever you are using to view the
png file. I had to set mine to white background as the default was an
unreadable checkerboard.

Some of the "classes" on here represent combinations of properties e.g.,
NilKindLiteralValueTextRepSpec means nilKind='literalValue' and
representation="text".

I think it is worth it to review this and see if we agree generally with
what is allowed to specify a raw-byte entity and what is not, etc.

Question: Can DFDL Regular Expressions include DFDL Entities? If so which
kinds? I would assume (and in the drawing) that is only plain and numeric
character entities, not raw bytes, and not character class entities.

Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL WG Co-Chair
Tel:  781-330-0412