[DFDL-WG] checking on 'no recursion' restriction - are we sure we can live without it

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 17:48:54 EDT 2012

DFDL v1.0 spec currently disallows recursive types.

Are we sure we can live without this?

Seems to me there are many formats e.g., JSON, which are popular now, and
which naturally require recursion to express.

There are a number of document-like formats - there's a fuzzy grey area
where documents and data records overlap, and these will naturally be
modeled using recursion.

Even formats like EDIFACT allow segment nesting, though I'm not sure about
whether recursive definitions are allowed or precluded, a generic EDIFACT
parser wouldn't know any specific segment types, and would want to have a
recursively defined generic segment structure.

Comments?

Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL WG Co-Chair
Tel:  781-330-0412