[DFDL-WG] lengthKind='prefixed' clarification needed

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Thu Oct 27 05:29:43 CDT 2011

Hi Mike

I agree that forcing someone to put dfdl:alignment on the element when
they really want it on the simple type is not good - but the spec does not
imply that today.  Unless I am missing something I can write:

<simpleType name="string" dfdl:lengthKind="prefixed"
dfdl:prefixLengthType="stdStrPrefixType" dfdl:alignment="2"
dfdl:alignmentUnits="bytes" >
   <restriction base="xs:string" >
        <maxLength value='65535'/>
    </restriction>
</simpleType>

<simpleType name="stdStrPrefixType" dfdl:representation="binary">
   <restriction base="xs:unsignedShort"/>
</simpleType>

The properties of simple type "string" and the element are combined.  This
alignment is applied before the prefix length is consumed, as per the
grammar.  This seems fine to me. Taking a (hypothetical) example, if I was
modelling a PL/1 var char then I know that all var chars are aligned on
half-word boundaries, so I put the alignment on the type for the var char.

Have I misunderstood the problem?

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848