[DFDL-WG] Action 155: Validation on output

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Thu Dec 15 12:32:53 EST 2011

We closed this in the call this week. However my write up was missing an
important word - 'augmented' - see below. Any issues with this let me
know, otherwise I will update the minutes and re-post on grid forge.

155
Errata: Timing of validation on unparsing (All)
8/11. Next step is to talk to XML Schema WG.
15/11: Steve was a call with Sandy Gao on Fri 25th.
22/11: Call on Nov 25th delayed until Dec 2nd
29/11: Call now delayed until Dec 9th. Steve has sent mail to Sandy
6/12: Call this Friday
13/12: Closed. Call held with Sandy Gao. XML does not have this problem to
anywhere near the same extent, an XML document and its infoset should
validate the same (a couple of minor exceptions are whitespace and
namespace declarations). Decided that due to the inherent possibility of
creating a DFDL schema that can unparse a stream that can not be reparsed,
and for commonality with XML, that an errata should be taken on the spec
to change the description of validation on unparse to be in terms of the
augmented infoset. Noted that a user of an implementation always has the
option to re-parse a stream to check that it will parse and validate.

smh at uk.ibm.com