[DFDL-WG] DFDL & Unicode BOMs

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Aug 23 08:51:12 CDT 2011

For discussion on today's call....

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
----- Forwarded by Steve Hanson/UK/IBM on 23/08/2011 14:53 -----

From:
Tim Kimber/UK/IBM
To:
Steve Hanson/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Cc:
"Mike Beckerle" <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>, "'Stephanie Fetzer'"
<sfetzer at us.ibm.com>
Date:
RE: Fw: BOM disposal

I'd like to summarize where we have got to on this:
- The most common scenarios are the ones where the document starts with a
BOM / Unicode Signature. Users will expect DFDL to handle these scenarios
simply and easily.
- BOMs / Unicode Signatures at the start of an element/group will be less
common,  but they will sometimes crop up when an application writes a
UTF-encoded stream directly into another document without removing the
BOM. DFDL must be able to cope with this, but it doesn't have to be simple
and elegant. On that basis, I suggest that we follow Steve's proposal, and
we should include toleration of UTF8 BOMs at the start of a document.

I have a small concern about round-tripping, though. In cases where the
input BOM is genuinely providing missing information to the DFDL
processor. I don't see how the application writer can ensure that the
infoset is written using the same byte order as when it was parsed. One
solution would be
- add a new property 'characterEncoding ' to the Document Information
Item. This would be set to the encoding that was in force at the start of
the root element. But it would not indicate byte order....
- add a new property 'characterByteOrder ' to the Document Information
Item. For UTF encodings only, this would be set from the implied byte
order of the encoding, or from the BOM if there is no implied byte order.
For non-UTF encodings it would have no meaning.
Without the characterByteOrder property, I don't see how the application
writer can determine this information. The characterEncoding property is
included because
a) it's probably useful in its own right and
b) the characterByteOrder property would look a little strange on its own

For BOMs that occur at the start of a fixed-length element, the user is
almost certainly going to want the BOM to be a ZWNBSP in the info set.
For BOMs that occur at the start of a variable-length element, I can
envisage a standard pattern for suppressing the BOM if that's what the
modeller wants.
- Create a hidden group containing one element
- set minOccurs to zero on the hidden element.
- set the element's initiator to the bytes of the BOM using two, three or
four %#r entities.

regards,

Tim Kimber, Common Transformation Team,
Hursley, UK