[DFDL-WG] Hidden elements - summary of approaches

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Sep 8 05:08:42 CDT 2010

Let's state the two options being considered, as I said I'd do this for
the wider DFDL WG for the call today:

1) Global group approach
local choice or group ref
Particle is removed from its parent into a dedicated global group of
composition sequence and replaced in the parent by a new empty local
sequence
The new empty local sequence carries a dfdl:hidden annotation that has a
property dfdl:groupRef, other DFDL properties are not allowed
Alternatively, the new empty local sequence carries a dfdl:hiddenGroupRef
property, other DFDL properties are not allowed
Pros:
Removal of all DFDL annotations and use of the resultant pure XSD results
in same infoset
Global group can be reused
Cons:
Making something hidden is a refactor operation
Global group sequence needs DFDL properties setting correctly

2)  Hidden flag approach
Particle takes a dfdl:hidden property
xs:minOccurs MUST be 0
A dfdl:minOccurs property takes the place of xs:minOccurs.
Pros:
Easy to make something hidden
Cons:
Removal of all DFDL annotations and using pure XSD does not guarantee the
same infoset
Breaks validation
Duplication of minOccurs property
Have to wrap a local sequence, choice or group ref in a complex element in
order to hide it (they can't take minOccurs = 0)

Strategy, Common Transformation & DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL WG
IBM SWG, Hursley, UK,
smh at uk.ibm.com,