[DFDL-WG] Publication and notation of DFDL

James Myers jimmyers at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 1 10:54:07 CDT 2010

Jakob,

I’ll just add that curation and preservation are definitely a driver – my
participation, and that of my colleagues at NCSA, in the DFDL
specification effort over the years  been funded by the US DOE and now the
National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) with preservation of
scientific data as a key use case. In addition to participating in the
spec effort at highly varying levels over the years and working on DFDL
parsers (an older non-standard parser (Defuddle) and one of the two Steve
mentions that is not yet out), we’ve been doing some work to plug it in as
an iRODS microservice as part of a collaboration with SHAMAN. (Mostly
demonstration/prototype use  versus any real deployment at this point.)
Our NARA project has also been thinking about how to extend the idea of
DFDL to and RDF-level logical model, though the only implementation we
currently have for that is to do Defuddle to an pre-DFDL XML model
followed by a GRDDL step to get to RDF.

It’s very exciting to see the DFDL spec being finalized. There’s been a
tremendous amount of effort from the people on this list to make it happen
(kudos to those who have brought it to final form!) and, as Steve says,
hopefully that energy can now turn towards documentation and building
momentum in various communities. I’m hoping it will take off in NSF’s
DataNet program for example and would like to encourage other
curation/preservation efforts to participate in the specification process
and to coordinate in building DFDL format descriptor libraries,
contributing to open source DFDL parsers, etc.

Cheers,

 Jim

James D. Myers, PhD

Associate Director, Cyberenvironments