[DFDL-WG] dfdl-wg Digest, Vol 43, Issue 2

Tim Kimber KIMBERT at uk.ibm.com
Thu Mar 4 05:30:59 CST 2010

I have a bunch of questions/issues relating to dfdl:choiceKind. I'm not
asking for changes in v0.40, but I expect there will be changes required.

The issues that I want to raise are:
a) The description of the property in v0.39 contains several typos and
inaccuracies.
- 'implicit' is being used where 'fixedLength' was intended.
- nothing is said about the units in which the length is calculated.
- there's no need to discuss how the choice is resolved when discussing
the 'variableLength' enum
- we should use standard phraseology when indicating whether a property
can be computed from a DFDL expression.

b) Property name should be 'choiceLengthKind' to accurately reflect its
meaning

c) There is a need for a related property 'choiceLengthUnits'
Consider the recursive algorithm for calculating the length of each
branch. It needs to know whether it is calculating a length in bytes or
characters. If the length is in bytes, then the length cannot be
calculated for variable-width encodings. If the length is in characters,
then the length cannot always be calculated reliably if there are raw byte
values in the markup.

d) The rules for calculating the max length of the choice are not
provided. They are complex, and not at all obvious. Consider these issues:
The length of a branch cannot be calculated if
- there are any optional elements or variable-length arrays anywhere in
the branch
- any field in the branch has dfdl:alignment > "1" ( at least, I can't
work out what the rules would be. The alignment of the parent element
would need to be factored in )
- any element or group in the branch specifies its initiator, terminator
or separator as a DFDL expression
- any element or group in the branch specifies its length as a DFDL
expression

if choiceLengthUnits='characters' then the length cannot be calculated if
- any element or group in the branch specifies a DFDL string literal
containing DFDL mnemonics %NL; %WSP*; or %WSP+;
- any element or group in the branch uses a DFDL string literal that
contains sequence of raw byte values with length different from the fixed
character width

if choiceLengthUnits='characters' then the length cannot be calculated if
- any element in the branch specifies a variable-width encoding, or
specifies its encoding as a DFDL expression.

There are probably other rules which need to be applied, but the above
should illustrate the point. Calculating the length is only possible under
some *very* restrictive conditions.

e) I think the property may not be required
As far as I am aware, this property was introduced to provide support for
COBOL REDEFINES, and to allow MRM message sets to be migrated to DFDL. If
true, the problem gets a lot simpler:
- COBOL does not use initiators/terminators.
- The COBOL compiler contains code that calculates the length of the
structure ( it must, because COBOL has a rule that a REDEFINES cannot be
longer than the record that it is redefining ).
Presumably, it takes alignment into account in some way, and handles
issues relating to character width as well.
- COBOL does not allow an anonymous REDEFINES. If imported, A REDEFINES
will always produce a complex element whose content is a fixed-length
choice.
Note : This means that the same will be true of any MRM message set
created by message broker's COBOLimporter.

If those assumptions are correct, then in all cases the same effect could
be achieved by putting the precalculated length of the REDEFINES onto the
parent element. I think this merits serious consideration. The cost of
implementing choiceKind='fixedLength' is quite high because of the
complexity of the rules, and the fact that groups, as well as complex
elements, can have a fixed length. But it's not really an implementation
issue, it's a complexity issue. DFDL should not contain a propery with
such complex implementation requirements unless there's a strong case for
it - otherwise potential implementers are going to be put off.

The existing COBOL importer probably does not set the precalculated length
of a REDEFINES on the parent element. That would be required if we wanted
to remove the property - so we would have to discuss that with the group
that provides the importer technology.

regards,

Tim Kimber, Common Transformation Team,
Hursley, UK