[DFDL-WG] Fw: Fw: Action 086 Nils and Default processing

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Jun 23 05:23:18 CDT 2010

Here's my latest updates.  As discussed I have reworked the 'Nils &
Defaults on parsing/unparsing' sections.

One question was thrown up.  On parsing when a required complex element is
missing, we add it to the infoset as long as applying default processing
to its missing children does not cause an error. You will see I have used
the phrase 'Missing element processing is applied to all child elements.'
to cover this.  But 'Missing element processing' as now spelled out in the
same section includes 'nillable and empty string' processing when the
child is simple. Does this apply here?

Strategy, Common Transformation & DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL WG
IBM SWG, Hursley, UK,