[DFDL-WG] Action 086 Nils and Default processing - draft 8

Tim Kimber KIMBERT at uk.ibm.com
Wed Jul 7 08:51:51 CDT 2010

Further comments in this version:

regards,

Tim Kimber, Common Transformation Team,
Hursley, UK
Internet:  kimbert at uk.ibm.com
Tel. 01962-816742
Internal tel. 246742

From:
Stephanie Fetzer <sfetzer at us.ibm.com>
To:
Steve Hanson/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Cc:
dfdl-wg at ogf.org, dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org
Date:
Re: [DFDL-WG] Action 086 Nils and Default processing - draft 8

All:

After reviewing the changes proposed by Steve I'm glad that my suggested
mods were to be placed before the existing section (as he has changes
everywhere!).  My suggestion would be  an introductory paragraph at the
start of the section to set the stage for:
 - why are we spending this whole section describing these concepts (why
are they important)
 - why are we starting with our own definitions of terms
 - how do these concepts fit together

I have some rough wording I'd like to start with for a proposal:

Processing of nils and defaults for parsing and unparsing relies on
several concepts and can be confusing unless explicitly described. We need
to consider the content of the datastream or the infoset, the cardinality
of the elements and sometimes their parents, and DFDL properties related
to nill and default values as well as syntax such as initiators and
terminators.

For parsing we are looking at the incoming datastream and the DFDL
properties to determine what gets built into the infoset.  This involves
decisions such as:
    If the data is not in the datastream does this equate to a default
value, or a nill value, or nothing at all
    in the created infoset?

For unparsing we are looking at the infoset and the DFDL properties to
determine what gets built into the output datastream.  This involves
decisions such as:
        If there is no value for an element in the infoset do we need to
create the initiator and terminator in the datastream?

We will start off by defining some terms which we will be used to make
describing the rules a little clearer.

If this is too 'light' for the spec we can always put in the
tutorial/primer...but I wanted to get some amount of high level overview
together while we were working through this.

Regards,
Stephanie Fetzer
WebSphere Common Transformation
Industry Packs - Software Engineer