[DFDL-WG] Comparison of DFDL and Biztalk 2009.

Alan Powell alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Mon Feb 15 12:22:31 CST 2010

I have taken a brief look at Biztalk to get some idea if DFDL V1 is
capable of supporting the same formats.

I have more details but to avoid containing developers I will only post a
summary here.

Biztalk is an XML based integration suite but has 2 non-XML assemblers/
disassemblers for non-XML data: Flat File and EDI. The purpose of these is
to transform from non-XML formats to and from XML as data enters/leaves
the system. All data within the system is XML.

So far I have only look at the Flat File assembler. The EDI assembler
seems to be Covast.

·       A file is defined by an optional header schema, a body schema and
an optional trailer schema.
·       Schema consists of root node(s), records (complex element), field
elements and field attributes.
But underlying schema contains complex types, sequences, etc.
·       Flat File properties are annotations and are allowed on schema,
elements and attributes.
·       Some properties set at schema level codepage, lengthUnits 'bytes'
(usually characters)
·       Defaults set on schema. Local properties have value or 'use
default'

·       Flat files are always text
·       The children of a record  can all be fixed length or delimited
·       prefix, infix, postfix Child delimiter, Suppress Trailing
Delimiters, Preserve Delimiter For Empty Data
·       Repeating Delimiter
·       Records can have Tags (initiators) but not terminators.
·
·       No restrictions on logical types. (inc gday, gtime, etc).
·       Only dates/times have a formatting pattern. Other types seem to
have a default representation.
·       Alignment, padding, minLength
·       Escape character, Wrap block (escape block), Restricted Characters
·       Convert all fields to upper/lower case or leave asis

The DFDL deficiencies seem to be
Lack of support of attributes.
Limited set of logical types.
Upper/lower case conversion

I have only investigated the flat file specific properties as these should
be the representation properties. There are other XML properties, such as
restricting to parse only, that may apply.

Regards

Alan Powell

Development - MQSeries, Message Broker, ESB
IBM Software Group, Application and Integration Middleware Software
IBM
MP211, Hursley Park
Hursley, SO21 2JN
United Kingdom