[DFDL-WG] Fw: Subsetting the DFDL spec

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Aug 4 08:18:58 CDT 2010

I've thought further on this.  I think any subsets need to be fairly wide
ranging and independent, in order for implementations (runtime and
tooling) to be able to sensibly offer support. If it becomes too
fragmented then users will find it difficult to know what construct may be
used when.  I realise that this means it takes more effort to implement a
subset in terms of content, but I think it will be easier to understand
how to do it. Accordingly I've revised the strawman.   Note that I have
introduced choices and unordered sequences at the same point as
initiators, as that provides a way of resolving uncertainty without
speculation, which is introduced under an advanced expression subset.

Strategy, Common Transformation & DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL WG
IBM SWG, Hursley, UK,
smh at uk.ibm.com,