[DFDL-WG] New scoping rules

Alan Powell alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Tue Sep 29 12:00:45 CDT 2009

Mike

I agree with you that the new scoping rules are not workable.

I also agree with you that 'all the required dfdl properties' does not
mean 'all the dfdl properties'. Unfortunately because the only way to turn
some properties off is to set them to the empty string you require a lot
more properties that you might expect. 'initiator', 'terminator',
inputValuCalc, 'outputValueCalc, etc, etc  all fall into this category so
must be set for every element.

While it may be acceptable to say that global components don't have to be
complete it must be possible to verify that a schema definition  is
complete and correct so are we back to designating the starting points?

We have discussed scoping a lot without finding an ideal solution so I am
beginning to wonder if we should give up and exclude it from DFDL V1.

Alan Powell

 MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley,  Winchester, SO21 2JN, England
 Notes Id: Alan Powell/UK/IBM     email: alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
 Tel: +44 (0)1962 815073                  Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898