[DFDL-WG] New scoping rules with Sumans exapmles.

Alan Powell alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Wed Sep 23 05:38:50 CDT 2009

All

As requested I have updated Suman's element and group reference examples
for the new scoping rules.

It has highlighted some concerns

We haven't really defined the scoping rules for dfdl:ref but they are
assumed to be 'merge with local property definitions. Local takes
precedence'
dfdl:ref to defineFormat blocks are very difficult to use with
parameterization.
A dfdl:ref on an element/group reference probably has no effect. The
properties would need to be converted to dfdl:setVariable .
A dfdl:ref on a global element/group declaration is OK but any property
that needs to be overridden must be defined locally as a variable.
There is no easy way to provide a default for properties on global
elements/groups that can be overridden. Suman had done this in his
examples.

Alan Powell

 MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley,  Winchester, SO21 2JN, England
 Notes Id: Alan Powell/UK/IBM     email: alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
 Tel: +44 (0)1962 815073                  Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898

----- Forwarded by Alan Powell/UK/IBM on 23/09/2009 11:24 -----