[DFDL-WG] Proposals for textPadCharacter

Tim Kimber KIMBERT at uk.ibm.com
Fri Oct 23 07:38:30 CDT 2009

I'm in general agreement with the proposals, apart from the suggestion
that we have separate properties for each simple data type. I understand
that strings are generally right-padded with spaces, and numbers
left-padded with zeros. However, I don't know of any common convention for
padding booleans or calendar types.

If a user wants to specify a padding character for all integers, they
already have several options:
- set textPadCharacter explicitly on each simple element that requires
padding
- put textPadCharacter into a format block, and use that format block ( or
more likely, another derived from it ) for all integers
- create a restriction of xs:int ( or whatever ) , add the required
dfdl:textPadCharacter to it, and ensure that all other padded integers
types are restrictions of it.

Exactly the same applies to textStringJustification,
textBooleanJustification, so whatever the outcome of this, we should adopt
a consistent approach for both properties.

regards,

Tim Kimber, Common Transformation Team,
Hursley, UK
Internet:  kimbert at uk.ibm.com