[DFDL-WG] Fw: DFDL Scoping v6

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Thu Oct 22 12:40:13 CDT 2009

A couple of things about the new scoping rules:

1) As Alan said in the minutes, there was one thing we didn't discuss on
the call, namely a proposal that multiple DFDL format annotations on the
same XSDL component be disallowed. This simplifies things, as we currently
have rules that govern how properties on multiple annotations combine.

Whilst agreeing that this a simplification is desirable, if I recall
correctly, there were a couple of motivating use cases, which we should
bear in mind when deciding this:

a) I am using selectors to model two different format variations, and some
properties are common to both. I code the common properties in one
dfdl:selector-free annotation, and the ones that differ in two annotations
that have a dfdl:selector.

b) I am simulating multiple inheritance by using two annotations each with
a different dfdl:ref.

2) One other thing was discussed on the call. Relates to rule 3 below.
When a component's set of 'explicit' properties are combined with the
working set of 'explicit' properties, it is a schema definition error if
same property appears in each set.  It was questioned whether it should be
an error if the properties have the same value.  We agreed to leave the
rule as-is, but revisit it if it proved to be a restriction when creating
DFDL xsds.

Programming Model Architect, WebSphere Message  Brokers,
OGF DFDL WG Co-Chair,
Hursley, UK,
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com,
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848