[DFDL-WG] How to determine the length of an element which has text representation

Tim Kimber KIMBERT at uk.ibm.com
Tue Nov 24 17:05:03 CST 2009

I disagree with the direction this conversation is taking. I don't think
we need another property - the dfdl:lengthKind property provides all of
the control which users require.
 Let's examine how the parser might behave for *all* of the lengthKind
enumerations:

explicit
The parser extracts a fixed number of characters/bytes from the input
document as directed by dfdl:length ( which may be a DFDL expression, and
may resolve to the value of the previous sibling )
prefixed
The parser extracts a fixed number of characters/bytes from the input
document as directed by the prefix length. Note the similarity with the
DFDL expression scenario above.
implicit
The parser extracts a fixed number of characters/bytes from the input
document as directed by the implicit length of the element.
delimited
The parser extracts from the input document all characters between the
current buffer position and the next unescaped item of in-scope
terminating markup.
pattern
The parser extracts from the input document all characters which match the
specified pattern
endOfParent.
The parser extracts from the input document all remaining characters/bytes
allowed by the representation properties of its parent groups/elements.

I think there is a consistency issue here. We either make the in-scope
markup apply to *all* lengthKinds ( including prefixed lengths and cases
where dfdl:length is an expression, which can amount to the same thing ),
or we limit it to lengthKind="delimited'. Any in-between position needs a
very good justification.

regards,

Tim Kimber, Common Transformation Team,
Hursley, UK