[DFDL-WG] Omitted array occurrences

Alan Powell alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Thu Nov 19 11:30:09 CST 2009

Tim

Comments below

Need more discussion on this

Alan Powell

 MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley,  Winchester, SO21 2JN, England
 Notes Id: Alan Powell/UK/IBM     email: alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
 Tel: +44 (0)1962 815073                  Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898

From:
Tim Kimber/UK/IBM at IBMGB
To:
dfdl-wg at ogf.org
Date:
19/11/2009 12:07
Subject:
[DFDL-WG] Omitted array occurrences

What should the DFDL unparser do when some or all of the elements of an
array are missing?

I have found the following statements in v0.36 which seem relevant:

Section 5.2.1
The minOccurs value is used:
·        to determine if an element declaration or reference is scalar or
array
·        to determine the required minimum number of occurrences of an
array both when parsing and unparsing

Section 16.13
( Note : this definition of 'required' is a repeat of the defintion in
section 3 )
Definition: 'required'
We define the term 'required' as follows:
·        A scalar element is required.
·        An element of a fixed-occurrence array is required.
·        An element of a variable-occurrence array is required if its
index is less than or equal to the value of minOccurs.
All other elements are not required.
On unparsing, if an element is required, and is not part of the logical
data and the element has a default value specified then it is used,
otherwise it is a processing error.

Section 17.3.1 : Sequence groups and separators

re: the combination of separatorPolicy="suppressAtEnd" and
sequenceKind="ordered":
All separators must be found in the data except that when the sequence has
trailing optional items, the separators are suppressed for any final
missing items. Note suppressAtEnd can only be used when there is no clash
with delimiters from the containing structure.

My interpretation of the specification is:
a) if separatorPolicy="require" then the unparser should output a
separator for all missing required elements ( whether array members or not
)
Is this an additional definition of a 'required' element? In which case
the default value should be output. (interestingly because default is a
schema property rather than a dfdl property you cannot set a default
default.)
b) if separatorPolicy="suppressAtEnd" then the unparser should output a
separator for all non-trailing missing required elements
Should set the default for any required element so it won't be missing.
"On unparsing, if an element is required, and is not part of the logical
data and the element has a default value specified then it is used,
otherwise it is a processing error. "

c) separators for missing elements must be output regardless of whether
the element is required/optional, simple/complex, does/does not have a
default value etc. I assume this because the term 'missing' is used rather
than the very clearly-defined term 'required'.
Missing just means not in the infoset and is orthogonal to
optional/required. If you accept this is an additional definition of
required then no. But it then forces you to set defaults for minOccurs=0
elements which will only be used in this circumstance. I'm not sure what
the default for complex elements would be: all the children must have a
default? .

Reading between the lines, I also infer the following rules:
d) if an array has maxOccurs="unbounded" and it is missing from the
infoset then the unparser will not output any separators for the array
If minOccurs > 0  then use default. If minOccurs= 0 then output nothing. I
don't think maxOccurs has any effect.
e) if an array has maxOccurs!="unbounded" and it is missing from the
infoset then  the unparser will output a separator for each missing
occurrence ( so it will output maxOccurs separators ).
See d)
f) if an element contains a child group, and none of the group members are
present in the infoset, then the group is 'missing' and the unparser will
output a separator for it.
Not sure
Suggested changes to the specification:
- As a minimum, I think it would be useful for the specification to
include a definition of 'missing'.  'Not in the infoset'
- DFDL does not allow min/maxOccurs on groups, so they implicitly have
cardinality 1:1. Specification should specify the behaviour of the
unparser when none of a group's members are present in the infoset. Agree
- The wording in 17.3.1 could be more accurate. I don't think the word
'optional' should be there ( if validation is off then the unparser will
tolerate missing required elements -No. 'required' is not part of
vaildation). I think the words 'trailing' and 'final' are intended to mean
the same - we should standardize on 'trailing'.

regards,

Tim Kimber, Common Transformation Team,
Hursley, UK
Internet:  kimbert at uk.ibm.com