[DFDL-WG] How to determine the length of an element which has text representation

Stephanie Fetzer sfetzer at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 19 09:39:41 CST 2009

Yes - agreed. It makes sense that for parsing when delimiters are in scope
that if we hit a non-delimited length that we 'turn off scanning'.  If
everyone is agreed on that then..

The decision to be made here is how we will handle elements with length
requirements while parsing when delimiters in scope:

1. We can allow and use dfdl:length for components with
lengthKind="delimited"...in a check that will occur after the element is
initially parsed (via delimiter)
2. We can disallow the use of dfdl:length for components with
lengthKind="delimited"...and require that any length constraints be placed
on such components via an assert.  An error or a warning will be generated
if dfdl:length is defined explicitly on a component with
lengthKind="delimited"
3. We can ignore the use of dfdl:length for components with
lengthKind="delimited"...and require that any length constraints be placed
on such components via an assert.

Any other options? Which way are we leaning on this?

Cheers,
-Steph

WebSphere Transformation Extender
Industry Packs - Software Engineer